dimanche 13 février 2011

Application Letter Critique

This application letter is in response to this internship.

New Jin Rou
Blk --- Jurong West
St --- #------
Singapore ------
Contact: --------
Email: -----@gmail.com

13 February 2011

Human Resource
Nomura

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Application for the 2011 Global Markets Summer Analyst Internship

I am interested in applying for the Global Markets Summer Analyst Internship with the Research department. I am a third year student at the National University of Singapore (NUS) pursuing a degree in Statistics (Finance and Business Statistics). As I aspire to both learn from and contribute to the best in the finance industry, Nomura, renowned both within Japan and internationally as a global finance house, is the obvious choice for me. I believe that interning in Nomura will be an invaluable opportunity for me to gain a global outlook of and deep insights into the industry, to experience a challenging and dynamic working environment and to meet and work with diverse individuals.

My interest in Research in Global Markets stems from my analytical nature and desire to learn the fundamentals of finance. A rigorous training in statistics has equipped me with strong quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills necessary for a role in Research. Moreover, working on research projects in school has honed my ability to synthesise information into a coherent report as well to communicate effectively even with others outside the statistical field.

Outside of academics, I participate actively in extracurricular activities. I am an active member and was the secretary of the NUS Nihon Buyo (Japanese dance) Club. In this capacity, I participated in various performances within and outside of NUS. In particular, I organised and performed in Japanese Cultural Night 2009. This involved working not only with other Japanese clubs within and outside my school but also external organisations and companies. I also served as Vice Programmes Head on the committee of Social Entrepreneurship Forum for Youths, directing a team to organise a two day carnival which showcased social entrepreneurship and brought 13 social enterprises to the school campus. As these two events were inaugural events, I had both the privilege and the challenge of pioneering the direction that both projects took. This has tested my ability to think of creative solutions and to think on my feet to deal with situations on the ground. In the fast-changing financial environment, I believe such skills would be essential.

My experiences have helped me to develop mental resilience, through learning how to juggle academic, extracurricular and voluntary commitments. In addition, my interpersonal and communication skills have been greatly enhanced through my opportunities to meet and work with people from diverse backgrounds. All in all, these experiences have given me a comprehensive set of skills which I believe will be necessary for a highly demanding internship at Nomura.

I thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my application. I hope you will give me the opportunity to demonstrate how I can contribute to your organisation.


Yours sincerely,
New Jin Rou


A question: If you're applying for an internship through the company's online portal that handles applications from all over Asia-Pacific for instance, what would you put as the company address? Or is simply putting the company name adequate (as I did) in this case?

Constructive criticism will be highly appreciated!

6 commentaires:

  1. In my opinion, you should still put the company's address since it is the format of a formal letter.

    You have shown how your experiences have helped you develop the necessary skills that you will need. Well substantiated. However, you mention that "...I believe will be necessary..." and "...I believe such skills would be essential..." but did not link it back to the internship position requirements. Hence, I am still not sure what are the requirements of a Global Markets Summer Analyst Intern.

    The language is good and the element of persuasion is evident.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hi Jin Rou,

    You have written a very strong and persuasive application letter, which is good. Your use of language is fluent and there are not obvious grammatic mistakes.

    Here are some suggestions.

    In general, I find that you have many long sentences and you might want to break them down into shorter ones.

    In the second last paragraph, the comma after 'mental resilience is not necessary. You did mention your ability to deal with situations and the fast-changing environment, but what relationship has that with being an analyst intern? You might want to write that down.

    You should probably include in the last paragraph alternative positions which can intern for and state when you are available to intern (when your semester holiday starts).

    That's about it. All the best for your final submission! :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hey Jin Rou,

    This application letter is well written and persuasive! It is well substantiated with examples that show your skills and capability.

    Here's my suggestion to how you can improve your application letter:
    In your first paragraph, you mentioned that you want to learn from and contribute to the company. Perhaps you can write about how you want to contribute to the company? I think it will show the employer that you want to be actively involved in company.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hey Yijie,
    Thanks for the feedback! I have a problem though: which address to put? The address of the global headquarters, the Asian-Pacific headquarters, or of the Singapore branch? Since all the applications are done through an online portal, I'm not sure which side is really in charge of dealing with the applications.

    To the rest: Thank you as well!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Hello Jin Rou,
    I agree with what Yijie said. You obviously have the fluency in the english language, coupled with the flair of writing persuasively. However, I do not really know what the position entails specifically. (Global Markets Summer Analyst). I am sure that all you listed are benefits for the company, but pertaining to this exact post, I am not exactly sure. With regards to your question, perhaps write the company's address for the Singapore branch since you are from Singapore.

    Pauline

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. wow, this is a really convincing letter, as what the rest have commented.

    But I think you should link your experiences and achivements to the the job requirements, because the link is not that clear to me.

    RépondreSupprimer